MrTexas Citrus&Tree Grafting Page
Zone 8b/9a Beaumont, TX 77707
Our Edible Landscaping:
18,000 visitors since the beginning
Visitors since 20Feb05
Tips on how to t-bud citrus/pear/apple/persimmon in the Houston,TX area
- Grow the
trifoliate rootstock in the nursery row the second year to pencil size.
- Trifoliate rootstock won't slip bark until April
- Collecting wild trifoliate trees won't get you many that the bark will slip on
since they are probably 3 or 4 years old, a good trifoliate for t-budding needs
be a 2 year seedling that is growing vigorously about pencil thickness.
- Budwood should have some woody streaks but just a few, too many and the bud might not force easily.
- Leave bud wrapped at least 3 weeks in spring and 6 weeks in the fall at least. If bud stayed green then it took.
- Keep budding knife razor sharp.
- Dip budding knife/clippers in 10% clorox solution when changing scions to avoid spreading viruses like tristezia.
- Temperature must be below 90F in the fall, but before two nights in the 50sF stop the bark from slipping
- September 15-October 15
- Start budding in the spring when the bark slips but before temperatures get to 90F.
- Bark must be slipping on rootstock very easily or even a good bud won't take.
- Force the bud in the spring.
- Buds forced in the fall will be tender all winter and won't grow much anyway during the winter.
- When forcing the bud, leave a few trifoliate leaves above the bud. This will
ensure you donít lose the rootstock if the bud fails.
- Don't use a budstick that has more than 3 buds on it. Wrap the graft with grafting tape and then cover the scion wood with parafilm or cover with a polyethylene baggie and use a twisty to seal it off. Poke a few small holes in the bag to avoid excess moisture.
- Too low of pH Tree has healthy green leaves but does not grow
- Too high of pH Tree has sickly looking leaves and does not grow
- Use a good potting mix=> 1/2 coarse river
sand, 1/4 composted pine grit, and 1/4 sandy loam.
If you follow the tips for t-budding you should get close to 100% take!